Also called: Competitive Matrix
Why: Uncover your company's market position and identify advantages and potential market gaps
When: As you launch a new product, enter a new market, or when you need clarity on your market position
This workshop exercise is part of the Workshop Patterns printed card deck.
A collection of workshop exercises that will help you ditch dull meetings and facilitate with confidence. It will help you master the design process and have more productive time with your team. The card deck will be ready for purchase in the end of 2023 and is now undergoing rigorous testing.Reserve your deck!
- Set up. Draw a 2x2 matrix on a large surface. Customize the two axes with the traits that fit your positioning found or that you used in the Personality Sliders exercise.
- List competitors. Conduct a 3 minute Silent Storming exercise, where participants note relevant companies in your space or industry. Let each participant choose the number one or two most important companies on their list and place sticky notes on the board for each.
- Position competitors. Together, place each sticky note on the matrix, discussing the company’s positioning. Repeat this for all sticky notes. As a final check, the facilitator asks the Decider if they’d like to adjust any placements.
- Plot your own company. Reflect on your positioning in relation to the other companies.
- Final call. The Decider makes the final decision on your company’s positioning.
Tips to perfect this play
Master and adapt the play to fit your context and needs.
Feel free to modify the traits for each axis to suit your specific context.
Encourage participants to think about both direct and indirect competitors
Ask participants to identify unique differentiators for your company based on the plotted landscape for deeper understanding