Why: Align on shared values and decision-making guidelines to address product experiences inconsistencies
When: Ideally performed as part of narrowing down your problem definition
This workshop exercise is part of the Workshop Patterns printed card deck.
A collection of workshop exercises that will help you ditch dull meetings and facilitate with confidence. It will help you master the design process and have more productive time with your team. The card deck will be ready for purchase in the end of 2023 and is now undergoing rigorous testing.Reserve your deck!
- Introduce the Challenge. Explain the purpose of having design principles and their impact on the product.
- List principles. Conduct a 5 minute Silent Storming exercise to list as many principles as they can, one principle per sticky note. Promote succinct but specific principles, like “Effortless”, “Insightful”, “Attentive”, and “Humble”.
- List principles, round 2 (optional). Show examples of what design principles other design-driven companies have used as well as inspirational words that you might have prepared. Run another 5 minute Silent Storming.
- Share & Group Principles. Have participants Playback their suggested principles and Affinity Map them as each is presented.
- Vote. Participants Dot Vote for the strongest principles that they believe should guide the project or product. Multiple votes on a principle are allowed.
Tips to perfect this play
Master and adapt the play to fit your context and needs.
Tip: Validate the principles
Validate the design principles in user testing and test whether users report the same words in describing your project or product