Also called: Heroes, Alter egos
Why: Invoke unique ideas by viewing problems through the lens of famous characters, effectively breaking cognitive biases
When: When a difficult problem requires a fresh, unorthodox perspective
This workshop exercise is part of the Workshop Patterns printed card deck.
A collection of workshop exercises that will help you ditch dull meetings and facilitate with confidence. It will help you master the design process and have more productive time with your team. The card deck will be ready for purchase in the end of 2023 and is now undergoing rigorous testing.Reserve your deck!
- Frame problem. Articulate on the challenge you want to explore. How Might We is a great way to frame it.
- Choose a a figure. Pair the problem with a corresponding fictional character. In a group setting of 3-5 participants, set a Timebox of 5-10 minutes for exploring as many characters as you can.
- Problem: A waste management company wants to improve services, but does not know how to stand out.
- Figure: How would Elon Musk disrupt the market
- Explore figure actions. Once you have settled on a figure, it is time to explore what that would mean for your challenge. Consider doing Empathy Mapping on the chosen character to build empathy and further spawn ideas.